I have been helping a local church hire a their next Youth Pastor, and was asked to give them some questions to help sift through their resume’ pile. Here are some questions I recommended they ask ask during round #1 to see if their potential finalists have a solid foundation. Any other questions come to mind? Leave a comment and perhaps I will pass them on.
- Tell us about yourself? Likes, dislikes, family, hobbies, etc.
- Please share your faith journey?
- How would you describe your faith journey now?
- Please explain your call to youth ministry?
- How has God affirmed your calling? How has God blessed your calling?
- What attracted you to apply for this position?
- Is YM a life-long calling for you (as you know at this point), or do you see yourself in a different role in ministry 5/10 years from now?
- Looking at your personal gifting/passions, how would you prioritize the three typical roles a Youth Pastor: Leading, Teaching, and Shepherding?
- What is your vision for a healthy YM in the local church (this should be more of the 30k foot view of YM, not what programs they want to implement.)
- What is your philosophy of YM?
- What is your philosophy of programs/programming in YM?
- What role do parents take in your vision for YM?
- What role do you see volunteer leaders play in your ministry?
- What are your theological positions on some of the major doctrines of faith? (God, Jesus Christ, Salvation, Holy Spirit, Church, Scripture, etc.)
- What authors (past and present) have shaped your theological convictions?
- Please describe some of the successes you have had in YM?
- Please describe some failures you have had in YM?
- Please describe your past church experience?
- Please describe your experience working in a team environment?
- Who has been an influence for you as you have developed your ministry skills?
- What kind of counseling training have you had?
- What kind of adolescent development training have you had?